Come and See Africa Instructor-Led Training



This was a month-long project based in Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi with a team of four instructional designers. Our objective was to teach technology to different target audiences in each of the three countries. We developed the objectives based on information received from a third party through the CASA organization.

Uganda: In Uganda, we introduced grade school students to computer basics and basic digital camera technology. At the end of the training the kids worked in teams to develop a simple Word document with images and text that they presented to their classmates. All students received a certificate of completion.

Rwanda: In Rwanda we introduced college students to the basics of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint. The training culminated in completion of a storyboard in Word, an Excel spreadsheet to organize assets and a PowerPoint presentation that incorporated images and video. All students received a certificate of completion.

Burundi: In Burundi we helped members of Parliament refine their skills in MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint using their own content. At the end of the training, learners were able to use new features in each of these tools to upgrade and refine their existing content. All students received a certificate of completion.


Come and See Africa (CASA)


MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop, digital camera UI and functionality


We had prepared to teach a specific number of people based on the information provided to us, but in reality, the number of participants was far greater than we had planned for. In addition, the skill levels varied greatly and didn’t align with the materials we prepared. We improvised on the spot, changed the curriculum to better align with what the learners needed (and their existing knowledge) and divided people into different groups and paired them up with different instructors in different areas. For example, instead of having one class for everyone on PowerPoint, we taught digital photography and storyboarding simultanously (with two classes held outside) and then had people switch groups. This enabled us to accommodate the large group size effectively, while giving learners the hands-on experience that they needed.

In Uganda we did not have electricity so we acquired a generator that we could use sparingly and reverted to paper prototypes until we could use computers and then we had people work in teams and trade off on the computers.

Burundi was in the midst of a civil war and electricity was unreliable and generators not easy to acquire so we facilitated role-play activities, created paper prototypes and used computers when available.



Despite the challenges, this was an extremely rewarding project. The students all learned new skills and were able to apply those skills to real-world projects. It was an honor to witness all of the “ah-ha” moments.

Everywhere we went, people were gracious and friendly and incredibly appreciative of what we were doing and very eager to learn. This was a life-changing experience for me and a reminder that as an instructional designer and trainer, it’s important to remain flexible to the changing needs of learners.

Please note that I do not have assets to share for this project as we literally created training on the spot and did not use any of the materials we had initially developed.